- Last Updated: Friday, 04 September 2020 14:00
Determination of fatty acid composition by GC-FID or GC-MS in biological matrices is best performed after transmethylation of the sample extract. The method detects and quantifies fatty acid methyl esters (FAMES - evenly numbered fatty acids found in eucariotic cells) and detects and calculates the area of bacterial acid methyl esters (BAMES - odd numbered fatty acids found in bacteria).
NUMBER OF SAMPLES: 30-70 samples (analysis of fewer or more samples has to be discussed with SMC).
MATRICES: Plasma, serum, and CSF (other matrices have to be communicated with SMC).
SMC is an independent partner and will be mentioned in the acknowledgements if the data is published
INCLUDED IN THE FATTY ACIDS ANALYSIS
- Sample preparation (eg. Folch extraction, with chloroform/methanol phase separation or methanol/water extraction)
- Analysis by GC-MS TOF
- Quality assurance of the analysis
- Targeted data analysis of FAMES and BAMES
- Generation of a table of relevant unknown integrated peak areas (annotated with retention time/index and mass)
- Quantification of FAMES
- Initial statistical evaluation of the generated data according to the question asked in the project (multivariate and univariate data analysis)
- Initial identification of unknown compounds deemed relevant for the project (around 10-20 metabolites)
- Storage of a pooled sample for possible future extended identification (extended identification is not included)
- Report and feedback
- Archiving of raw data